Safety & Security
The Comal Independent School District is committed to providing a safe and secure learning environment for our students and staff. We know students who feel safe at school are able to reach their full potential both academically and socially.
Comal ISD utilizes a comprehensive approach to safety and security focusing on proactive and preventative strategies to ensure our students are safe. Below is a list of programs and activities the district engages in to support the safety and security of our students and staff.
- A strong and committed partnership with the Comal County Sherriff’s Office and other local and state law enforcement agencies to provide school resource officers (SROs) and other law enforcement services as needed.
- Implementation of the Standard Response Protocol (SRP), which allows common language to be used when a specific campus has to utilize a protective action in the event of an emergency.
- A proactive assessment process that uses an evidence-based approach for identifying individuals who may pose a threat and for providing interventions before an incident occurs.
- An anonymous reporting application (STOP!T), and partnership with Crime Stoppers, that allows students and families to report bullying and other concerning behaviors.
- On an ongoing basis, the district is engaged in ensuring that appropriate training is provided to staff, and that campus drills are conducted to practice the use of protective actions which may be needed in an emergency.
- The district regularly engages with its Safety and Security Committee, made up of staff, community members and parents, to assess safety district-wide.
- Our WatchD.O.G.S. (Dads of Great Students) program is a family and community engagement initiative with the goals of providing positive role models for students and extra sets of eyes and ears to enhance school security.
- The district continuously assesses its facilities in an effort to ensure that our buildings provide the safest environment possible.
- The district maintains a Multi-Hazard Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) that outlines procedures for the mitigation/prevention of, preparation for, response to, and recovery from all possible emergencies the district may experience.
- The district conducts regular assessments of its overall safety and security to ensure procedures, activities and programs are evaluated and updated as needed.