Safety & Security
Welcome to Comal ISD Safety & Security!
While the majority of our attention is spent on preventing incidents from happening, we know we must also be prepared to respond in any emergency situation. Staff and student training and drills, policies that regulate access to facilities and a close working relationship with our first responding agencies are elements of a layered, collaborative approach to safety that we implement on a daily basis.
More information about our safety initiatives can be found using the side navigation bar, or below is an outline of the various components of the district's comprehensive and multidisciplinary approach to safety and security:
- The District provides uniform procedures to both control access and manage visitors to our facilities, which includes utilizing fencing, gates, locks, signage, and electronic systems.
- Campuses are equipped with secure vestibules that allow for controlled access to the front office as well as the campus. All other doors remain secured as controlled entry points during the school day.
- All campuses utilize an extensive camera system that is monitored both at the campus level and at the district level.
- All campuses are equipped with a lockdown alert system wish is comprised of push buttons throughout the campus, lights, a direct connection to the PA system, and notification to 911. The system is a faster and easier way for campuses to go into Lockdown.
- The district utilizes a variety of systems to ensure redundant communication in the event of an emergency, including an emergency management software program, 911 accessibility from all classrooms, and a district-wide radio system. Parents are also notified through text message, phone, email, and social media in the event of an emergency.
- The District has a strong focus on early detection of student behaviors that might be precures to violence to self or others through its Threat Assessment and CSAT programs with the goal of providing student supports and interventions.
- An anonymous reporting system and partnership with Crime Stoppers, that allows students and families to report concerning behaviors.
- Comal ISD is pleased to introduce a new communications tool called Anonymous Alerts, an anti-bullying and safety app reporting system helps combat bullying and other negative activity in schools by empowering students to speak up. To send reports from the Web/Internet go to: https://tips.anonymousalerts.com/comalisd
Partnerships with First Responders and Community
- The District has a strong and committed partnership with the Comal County Sheriff’s Office, Bexar County Precinct 3, Bulverde Police Department, and other local and state law enforcement agencies to provide school resource officers (SROs) and other law enforcement services as needed.
- The District regularly coordinates with local and state agencies that may support the district in the event of an emergency, including first responders and other emergency management officials.
- The District regularly engages with its Safety and Security Committee (made of staff, community members, first responders and parents) to assess safety district-wide.
- Our Hallway Heroes program is a family and community engagement initiative with the goals of providing positive role models for students and extra sets of eyes and ears to enhance school security.
Emergency Preparedness and Response:
- The District utilizes the Standard Response Protocols to protect students and staff during an emergency, and implements the Standard Reunification Method to ensure that, if needed, students are safely reunified with their guardians following an event.
- On an ongoing basis, the District is engaged in ensuring that appropriate training is provided to staff, and that campus drills are conducted to practice the use of protective actions which may be needed in an emergency.
- The District outlines specific emergency drill requirements for all campuses that align with state requirements. Drills are conducted to support the SRP protocols and the extensive training done to implement these protocols.
- The District maintains a multi-hazard emergency operation plan for every campus that outlines procedures for all possible emergencies the district may experience. This plan is reviewed, practiced and updated regularly.
- All campuses are equipped with maps, signage, and door numbering to support emergency actions.
- Every classroom in the district is equipped with an emergency go-kit that can be quickly grabbed during an evacuation or other emergency to provide basic supplies that can assist with immediate needs in an emergency until professional help arrives.
Continuous Improvement Process:
- District safety staff establish priority checklists for campuses at the beginning, middle, and end of school years to ensure that all safety strategies and equipment and checked and being implemented with fidelity.
- The District regularly conducts safety assessments of all of its campuses and facilities with the goal of continuously identifying areas for improvement and refinement.
- For each campus, District safety staff evaluate campus drills in an effort to assess the quality of the response action as it pertains to establish standards.
- District safety staff have a feedback process with campuses, which includes meetings with campus principals and campus “report cards” that highlight commendations and areas for improvement.