Our Approach to Safety
The Comal Independent School District is committed to providing a safe and secure learning environment for our students and staff. We know students who feel safe at school are able to reach their full potential both academically and socially.
While our focus is on preventing and mitigating as many issues as we can, we also want our students and staff to be prepared to respond in case an emergency situation arises.
We rely on both internal strategies and external programs to support the safety and security of our students and staff, as well as activities that allow the district to be prepared for a host of different emergency situations that our campuses and facilities may face.
- Implementation of the Standard Response Protocol (SRP), which allows common language to be used when a specific campus has to utilize a protective action in the event of an emergency.
- A proactive assessment process that uses an evidence-based approach for identifying individuals who may pose a threat and for providing interventions before an incident occurs.
- On an ongoing basis, the district is engaged in ensuring that appropriate training is provided to staff, and that campus drills are conducted to practice the use of protective actions which may be needed in an emergency.
- A strong and committed partnership with the Comal County Sherriff’s Office and other local and state law enforcement agencies to provide school resource officers (SROs) and other law enforcement services as needed.
- An anonymous reporting application (STOP!T), and partnership with Crime Stoppers, that allows students and families to report bullying and other concerning behaviors.
- The district regularly engages with its Safety and Security Committee (made of staff, community members, first responders and parents) to assess safety district-wide.
- Our Hallway Heroes program is a family and community engagement initiative with the goals of providing positive role models for students and extra sets of eyes and ears to enhance school security.
- In accordance with Chapter 37 of the education code, the district maintains a multi-hazard emergency operations plan for every campus that outlines procedures for all possible emergencies the district may experience. This plan is reviewed, practiced and updated regularly.
- The district regularly coordinates with local and state agencies that may support the district in the event of an emergency, including first responders and other emergency management officials.
- Comal ISD utilizes the Standard Response Protocols to protect students and staff during an emergency, and implements the Standard Reunification Method to ensure that, if needed, students are safely reunified with their guardians following an event.
- The district regularly conducts safety assessments of all of its campuses and facilities with the goal of continuously identifying areas for improvement and refinement.