July 19, 2021 - From accounting and computer science to biology and calculator, annually, academic UIL contests challenge students to learn more and motivate them to test their skills among their peers. These contests begin at the campus level with the top candidates moving to the next round, culminating in a state competition for high school participants.
This year, Comal ISD students represented their campuses at various UIL academic meets with much success. In fact, Philip Templeman, a 2021 graduate of Canyon High School, brought home three gold medals in the State 5A contest for calculator applications, biology and physics. He placed fourth in the state overall in the science category. Templeman, who was this year’s CHS valedictorian, was coached by Sharon Streger and Haylie Sansom.
The 2021 UIL Academic results for Comal ISD high school students are listed below.
Canyon High School, District 26 5A, Ryan Frech, academic UIL coordinator
- Joey Aldrich and Taylor Baugher advanced to state in science.
Memorial Early College High School, Region IV 3A, Meredith Ply, academic UIL coordinator
- Noora Awad placed third at regionals in persuasive speaking.
- Carlos Hernandez placed fifth at regionals in current issues and events.
Smithson Valley High School, District 27 6A, Laquita Sellers, academic UIL coordinator
- Rangers won Academic UIL Sweepstakes for the seventh year in a row.
- Daniel Lackey placed sixth at state in feature writing and in the top 12 in state for copy editing. He was coached by Margaret Edmonson.
- Rebekah Mann placed in the top 12 at state for editorial writing and was coached by Edmonson.
- Emma Weidman placed eighth in state for literary criticism and was coached by Verna Mann.
- Edmonson has led a team to win Journalism Sweepstakes seven of the past eight years.
-Pictured from left is Canyon High School UIL Academic Coach Sharon Streger, recent Canyon High School graduate, Philip Templeman, and UIL Academic Coach Haylie Sansom.
-Recent Canyon High School graduate, Philip Templeman, earned three gold medals at this year’s UIL Academic competition in physics, calculator and biology. He placed fourth overall in science.