Credit by Exam
Elementary and Middle School Credit by Exam
The next Kindergarten Acceleration opportunity will be Fall 2019.
Generally, children are best placed at a grade level with students of their own age. However, some students of kindergarten age may already have mastered the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for kindergarten and, for this reason, are ready to go on to first grade. Acceleration by Examination for kindergarten is to allow students to advance to first grade who are not yet six years of age but are academically ready to do so. Typically, these are students who have been enrolled in a private kindergarten (accredited or non-accredited) or a homeschool arrangement.
Kindergarten acceleration opportunities will be offered only once per year. Comal ISD does not accept another district’s kindergarten acceleration testing. A student who enrolls in Comal ISD must meet Comal ISD standards if deadlines have not passed.
A student in kindergarten may be accelerated to first grade if he or she meets ALL of the following requirements in this order:
- The student is five (5) years of age on September 1 of the school year in which tested;
- The student is six years old on or before December 31 of the school year in which tested;
- The student is enrolled in kindergarten in the District;
- The student’s parent or guardian initiates the request in writing within the first two weeks of school;
- The parent/guardian timely files the request with the campus principal and attends a conference to discuss the request;
- The student scores at or above the kindergarten end-of-year expectations on the District’s early reading assessment, which is administered by the kindergarten teacher; and
- The student scores at least 80 on each of the following kindergarten content area assessments (language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies) through Credit by Exam. Comal ISD will purchase and administer the exams to the student.
The principal will make the recommendation for acceleration and the decision made will be final.
The next testing opportunity will be in the Summer 2019. The applications are due by May 21st, 4pm. The applications are attached below.