Feb. 25, 2022 - The Comal ISD Board of Trustees recognized Career and Technology Education (CTE) Month along with CTE state qualifying students during its regular meeting Thursday.
The Board presented a resolution for CTE Month and the district’s commitment to providing CTE opportunities to students. Director of career readiness Renee Martinez and CTE coordinator Tina Olcott accepted the framed resolution which read in part the following statement.
“CTE programs motivate and engage students by providing hands-on activities in which they can further their expertise and interact with community members, potential employers, and students and teachers who share their vocational interests.”
Students gain that hands-on experience in various ways including through their involvement in CTE student organizations such as Business Professionals of America (BPS) and Family Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA).
Within these organizations, students have opportunities to compete in various contests to test their skills in critical thinking, time management, speaking and leadership at the local, state and national levels.
Canyon High School BPA State Qualifiers
- Kirsten Bouloubasis, Aidan Karr, and Jenna Simmons - Small Business Management Team
- Lana Martinez, Ava O’Neal, Giovanni Powell and Kendis Reyes - Global Marketing Team
- Landon Hackett and Ayla Silguero - Podcast Production Team
- Joel Reyes for Banking and Finance;
- Ebanie Villagomez for Entrepreneurship;
- Sheyla Hechevarria for Personal Financial Management; and
- Madison Kovalski for Graphic Design Promotion.
- Karr also qualified for state in Ethics and Professionalism; Martinez for Interview Skills; Hackett for Business Law and Ethics; and Silguero for Fundamental word Processing.
Another active CTE student organization is FCCLA, and several Comal ISD students qualified for state FCCLA contests including six from Smithson Valley High School and two from CHS.
SVHS FCCLA State Qualifiers
- Annie Osborne for Early Childhood Education;
- Isabelle Adauto and Sydney Rakowitz for Focus on Children;
- Cicialy Packer for Fashion Design; and
- Ryann McAnelly and Alyssa Schaefer for Event Management.
Shauna Douglass is the SVHS FCLLA teacher adviser.
CHS FCCLA State Qualifiers
- Quang Dao and Erik Palma for interior design
In addition to BPA and FCCLA, students across Comal ISD are involved in CTE student organizations including SkillsUSA, Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA) and Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA).