English as a Second Language (ESL)
English as a Second Language (ESL) services are available for Emergent Bilingual (EB) students in PreKinder - 12th grade at all Comal ISD schools. This program ensures that students receive the assistance needed to reach the highest levels of academic achievement and English proficiency. Teachers trained and certified in second language acquisition theory, methodology, and strategies provide program services to students by integrating instruction with subject matter.
ESL Program Goals:
- Students will have the opportunity to acquire both conversational and academic English.
- Students will demonstrate academic growth in all subjects as measured by formal and informal assessments.
- Students will acquire linguistic and cultural knowledge and awareness.
- Teachers will ensure student success in content knowledge and fluency in English.
- A partnership between parents, teachers, and administration will be cultivated to promote English proficiency and literacy for students.
- The District will recruit and retain highly qualified staff and provide sufficient resources to support program success.