Tasks for Grades 3-5
- Read at least one new book by the start of school. You can find a list of fiction selections by clicking this link for the Texas Library Association’s Bluebonnet Award winners. Do something fun to share your book. A menu of response ideas can be found here.
- Nonfiction is a great way to learn about the world, too! Take a look at the 2019 Texas Topaz Nonfiction Reading List YOUTH by Primary Interest Level here. Talk to your family about what you learned from your books.
- Calling all novelists! Fourth and Fifth graders can enter the NaNoWriMo Young Writers Program here. This is a thoughtful adaptation of the famous and fun grown-up novel writing contest.
- Complete the family Summer Math Challenge daily at Quantiles.com. Register here. Print the certificate at the end of the 6-week challenge and turn it in at your school during the first week of school.
- Learn about the Underground Railroad. Earn your Junior Ranger Badge! Click on the link for the activity book.
- In this book you can learn about the National Historic Preservation Act, complete fun activities, and explore ways you can help protect this nation’s cultural resources! Also, earn your Junior Ranger Badge. Click on the link to download your activity book.
- Understand more about who we are and where we came from by sharing a great family tradition you’ve been a part of this summer. Share photos of your traditions.
- Create a map of where you spent your time this summer. Did you travel by plane, car, boat, train, or bike?
- Gear up your scientific mind by making some observations about the world around you. Seek an answer to at least one question you had as you observed your world.
- Become more involved with STEM during the summer time with this family friendly summer calendar. Click on the link for the STEM Summer Calendar here and team up with your family!
- Are you planning to visit a theme park this summer? What are the energy transformations of the rides that you participated in?
Post your progress on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using #ComalPreSeason19