86th Legislative Session
The 86th Legislative Session runs from January 8, 2019 to May 27, 2019 and will focus on various topics from state budget to healthcare to school finance. This webpage is intended to help our community learn about our legislative priorities, and how to become and stay informed about legislative matters.
- Establish a funding mechanism that allows school districts the flexibility to identify their areas of need in regards to Safety & Security, and that align to state standards, that goes beyond a one-time grant opportunity.
- Support the sharing of Information between school districts and first responder agencies when there is an imminent threat to school safety.
- Eliminate recapture; $7 million currently budgeted for 2018-19 and projected to increase significantly in future years.
- Provide transportation funding for Chapter 41 ISDs larger than 500 sq. miles, such as Comal ISD. Successful passage could equate to $1.7 million in additional transportation funding for the district.
- Increase budget for UT OnRamps to allow more high school students to enroll in dual credit classes through the University of Texas at Austin (UT).
- Allow students in American Sign Language Program to satisfy one year of their Foreign Language requirement at the elementary level